Sunday, May 24, 2009

Some fun times in my yard

As the weather has warmed up (kind-of, occasionally), I have been going outside for some fun times and adventures in my yard, with gardening and with animals.


Here are our flowers, pot by pot.

Some yellow begonias next to our front door;
I placed a tomato stick in them, though



Our gerber daisy in a pot that Boppy got us in Door County



The violas are in the basket and moss roses and a dahlia in the container behind them.

The pots used to belong to Nana (my great-grandmother), and she bought them at this really unique pottery stand in Alma, IL, a teeny-tiny town where Mama lived from ages 6 to 9. The way the stand worked was that you just took the pots you wanted and left the money in a box inside a shack by the road.....I guess it worked out okay in the early 1980s.

In any case, my Mama really loves growing things in those pots.



The potted lavender on the left was from last year and it came back on its own.
We made a planter out of the pitcher on the right, which was going to be thrown out


Here are purple 'nemestia' flowers in the middle with yellow violas on the outside


And on the other side of the stairs are purple violas around a yellow snapdragon!


And finally here are some violas that were more than half dead when I put them in these pots and Mama and I watered them....they literally came back almost overnight.....apparently even Mama can't kill violas!



In this one you can see our whole porch including all of the flower pots we have done so far, including the trumpet flowers Mama and I put in baskets on the porch.
Believe it or not, we still have a few more plants that need to go in!
Note: You can also see our amazingly yucky rock garden that sits right in front of our house....we are working on getting that O-U-T out! this summer.


And here I am working on sidewalk chalk with my Mommy

Blue?




Surveying my terrain


Playing hard or working hard?




Now this section I call 'our silly animals'

As you can see, this squirrel, who is much like his friend Lazy the Loungy Squirrel in St. Louis, is actually lying down while eating sunflower seeds!



And here are two rare colorful birdies that came to perch on our tomato/cucumber garden.
Mama thinks the one on the left is a yellow finch....

....and here is a (blurry) closeup of the one that was on the right.
***We've been seeing a lot more of these types of birds lately,
but Mama and I can't always get the camera quickly or quietly enough!



Happy summer to everyone!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Pretty flowers! And I love lazy squirrel. :)